Go Back   Official PlayStation Magazine UK > Off topic

Old 10-01-2012, 12:44 PM

Talking What's in a name?

Come on folks, tell us how you came up with your username, where does it come from, what inspired you?
Sometimes it's very simple, sometimes it's a bit more complicated.

I'll start off, mine's probably on the 'a bit more complicated' side of things.
--------

When I first went to join a forum almost ten years ago I had to decide on a user name. I really gave it some thought as I planned to stick with it. I'd been playing Metal Gear Solid 2 a lot at the time. One of my favourite games.

Yes that's right, the Fatman part is none other than the hilarious boss from MGS2. Wears a bomb suit, gets around on roller skates, drinks wine, clearly crazy and says some very amusing stuff as you desperately attempt to disarm all of his bombs.
He's a lot of fun to fight as well. I've never experienced a boss fight quite like it.
In any story or game, I think the bad guy/s are just as important if not more important than the hero/s. If you've not got an interesting baddie then it's often hard to get excited about what's going on. Fatman is a lot of fun, is original and well thought out in my view.

"Glad you could make it, the party's about to begin."

As for the Lieutenant part, I was reading a lot of historical novels at the time based on the fictional hero Sharpe. It's based in the early 1800s during war time and is about a man who works his way up the ranks if you haven't heard of him. Quite inspiring as pretty much all officers simply gave money for their rank in those days. It took someone quite incredible to do it with no money. Inspiring stuff, he spent a lot of his days as a Lieutenant, and so there you go.

My brain merged the two bits together and I thought, hey that's a funny user name! And I have used it ever since. Hope to hear how you lot got your names.

Last edited by LieutenantFatman; 10-01-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:20 PM

lol, I wish my user name was a little more inspired. arashi_85 the arashi bit came from a character in a graphic novel I was reading at the time (I think it was called Paradise Kiss) and the 85 is my brother's year of birth as I didn't want to put my own. Not inspired thinking and not as interesting as my twitter name but there you go

My Gaming Blog
(My thoughts on games and other randomness!!)
Old 10-01-2012, 03:11 PM

Mine's a bit dull. I was given the name once in the nineties when I was on an I.T. course. Everybody else would be messing about trying to be the centre of attention while I'd be sat around the outside with a closed smile on my face and hair down to my waist, looking kind of like the Mona Lisa (of the enigmatic smile). Only not as manly. It was never used again, so I decided to use it for Facebook and PSN. And being a Kevin Smith fan I liked the similarity to Silent Bob. During the nineties I also went through a Sharpe phase. After buying sixteen books, each covering a famous battle, I stopped getting them because I thought he was just too jammy.

Last edited by enigmaticbob; 04-07-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmaticbob View Post
After buying sixteen books, each covering a famous battle, I stopped getting them because I thought he was just too jammy.
Heh, that's why I stopped reading them as well, super jammy. But I tried The Warlord Chronicles trilogy also by Bernard Cornwell and that's much better. In fact it's an incredible read, once again the historical stuff is very interesting too. I very much recommend it.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Winter-King-...6219775&sr=1-2

Keep the replies coming! I don't think the story behind the names are dull or uninspired at all guys. It's all interesting stuff. It's just I have a tendency to overthink things sometimes that's all, haha.

Last edited by LieutenantFatman; 10-01-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:59 AM

Mine's verrrrry interesting. 20 years ago, I was born with this name. That's about it really. Should've thought of a better name..
Old 15-01-2012, 02:54 PM

When I was first registering on PSN I tried all manner of i.d.s based on my Steam account, real name etc but none of them were accepted. Getting desperate I went with this and it worked.

If you don't know the reference look here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2u_DVkK1Rc

And before you ask, my relationship with my PS3 is platonic, honest.
Old 15-01-2012, 09:28 PM

Okies, mine is a bit stupid, as noone who's read Harry Potter will actually get the joke :P
Old 16-01-2012, 08:38 PM

Long time.. Long time.

When I was a little fella I used to post on the BBC 606 messageboard all day long. Constantly. Proper Addicted I was!

The beeb website allowed you to change your username and I went through a few.

but for commedy value I once called myself:

Too Busy To Post

It was Ironic see!

so that has been abbreviated to TooBusy! sweet!

And I loves it I do!

Old 17-01-2012, 09:15 PM

Well mine's not that great, so here goes:

Part of it is my surname, and through years of playing football manager I got a bit bored using my real name. So instead I decided to create a football manager alter ego who was Italian and wore long coats. And thus, Shentonio was born!
Old 23-01-2012, 01:08 PM

Davi is my name, but I figured it's unusual enough to be usable as an online name as well.