Thief 4 info – new mechanics & gameplay details
New mechanics & gameplay details for Thief 4 have appeared revealing Garrets new abilities, gadgets and a flavour of how the sequel plays. It follows on from the leaked Thief 4 images which also confirmed a PS4 release in 2014.
Thief 4 mechanics & gameplay
- The new instalment will be toning down the supernatural and magical elements.
- Returning hero Garrett has been away from ‘The City’ and returns to find it run by an ‘iron-fisted Baron’ who uses his military to oppress the population.
- You can still throw objects to distract guards.
- Garrett has a Focus ability. Letting him see useful items and hidden objects. It also seems to act as a slow-mo combat ability enabling Garrett to select areas to strike. He’s not a combat orientated character however and in direct confrontation multiple enemies will quickly overwhelm him.
- The game uses beacons to guide players but levels are open and full of multiple routes for exploration.
- A fingerprint system will help identify which drawers are worth searching.
- In-game money can be used to upgrade equipment while collectible artifacts will decorate Garrett’s hideout.
- Guard AI means that enemies will understand what makes a good hiding places during searches and different opponents will use different search techniques.
- Garrett has a blackjack which can be used to knock out unaware guards.
- The bow has a variety of uses besides killing – dry ice arrows can be used to extinguish light sources, smoke arrows will blind guards or distract them, arrows can also be used to knock over objects to create distractions.
- A claw can be used to grapple to certain areas.
The gameplay demo shows Garrett making his way through streets full of the bodies of plague victims in the Stonemarket district. Guards violently police the area while rich characters are seen with their own personal guard.
As he explores he overhears two guards talking of a wealthy architect called Theodore Eastwick who’s at the House of Blossoms, a ‘pleasure house’ run by a transvestite called Xiao Xiao. Garrett goes to investigate and find Eastwick. In the process he also hears Xiao Xiao discussing the extra security and mentioning a strongbox in his office that can be used to store valuables.
The strongbox is opened using a lock picking game but not before Garrett has to use a dark corner to avoid Xiao Xiao. A log book also reveals where Eastwick has gone. After stealing a jewel-encrusted heirloom from the box Garrett is trapped in the office while Xiao Xiao talks outside the door. Instead he uses a hidden passageway to get out.
Garrett locates Eastwick and steals a medallion. He then uses his Focus ability to uncover a glowing symbol on the wall that matches on the medallion. Garrett is able to align the medallion and reveal more symbols causing the medallion to spin. However Eastwick discovers the theft and the guards are called before more is discovered.
Using information from an overheard conversation Garrett discovers he can tip opium into the air vents and knock out everyone in the building while holding his breath to escape. He’s cornered by guards and from the opium fog he uses an arrow to dislodge a statue, killing two guards. Another grabs Garrett and he uses Focus mode to throw the guard to the floor. Free from opposition he then grapples to a vent and escapes to the sewers.